Are you ready for the warm and sunny days of summer, bringing with them longer hours to enjoy the outdoors? This is the perfect time to get some essential vitamin D from the sun, but it is crucial to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays. You can enjoy all your favorite outdoor activities, but if you want to maintain your skin’s beauty and health, you’ll want to be prepared.
UV Skin Protection
Overexposure to the sun can leave you with a range of skin problems, such as sunburn, skin damage, wrinkles and even skin cancer. Here are five tips to help you protect your skin from the summer sun and maintain a beautiful, glowing complexion.
- 1. Apply sunscreen whenever you leave home: Choosing a good-quality sunscreen with an SPF of 30 (or higher) should be an essential part of your skincare routine. Wearing sunscreen protects your skin from the sun’s damaging UV rays, which can cause premature aging. To get the most out of your sunscreen, be sure to apply it generously and evenly to your skin about 30 minutes before you step outside. Carry this sunscreen with you and reapply it every two hours or more frequently if you are swimming, sweating or toweling it off.
2. Use a moisturizer with SPF: While sunscreen is essential for sun protection, it can sometimes feel greasy or heavy on the skin. To avoid this, you can opt for a moisturizer that contains SPF, a sun protection factor. This is a number that rates how well the sunscreen filters out UV rays. This will give you the dual benefit of moisturizing your skin and providing protection from the sun. You can use it as your regular moisturizer, and it will also help you save time in your skincare routine.
3. Wear protective clothing: Protective clothing such as hats, sunglasses, and long-sleeved shirts are smart choices to keep the sun’s damaging rays away from your skin. Hats provide protection to the face, head, and neck, while sunglasses protect your eyes and the delicate skin around them. Long-sleeved shirts and pants made of lightweight fabrics are also an excellent way to cover up while keeping you cool and comfortable.
4. Seek shade: One of the simplest ways to safeguard your skin from sun damage is to seek shade during the hottest hours of the day. Staying indoors or under a shade tree can reduce your overall exposure to the sun’s rays and lower your risk of sunburn and other skin damage. If you are planning to spend time outdoors, you can bring an umbrella or shade tent to create your own shade.
5. Stay well hydrated: While hydration is important for keeping your skin healthy all year round, it is even more crucial during the hot summer months. The heat can cause your skin to become dry, dehydrated, and prone to damage from the sun even humidity can leave your skin prone to acne and rashes. Set a goal to drink at least eight glasses of water throughout your day to keep your skin hydrated and supple.
Summer Skin Goals
Enjoy all that the enjoyment the summer months have to offer while keeping your skin safe from the sun’s harmful rays. Sunscreen, moisturizers with SPF, protective clothing, seeking shade, and staying hydrated are simple yet effective ways to protect your skin from the summer sun. If you have any questions or concerns about your skin health or beauty, we invite you to give our team a call to learn more about our cosmetic surgery skin treatments.